Ahead of the formation of Basingstoke Together, more than 100 businesses across Basingstoke were consulted about a BID and their responses shaped the four main priority areas:
1. Promoting Our Town Together – Basingstoke has a lot to offer but by coordinating that offer across the town, whether that be joining up the day-time and evening economies or helping people see its variety we can attract more people to Basingstoke as a whole.
2. A Place for People – The BID will work hard to make Basingstoke a place that works to meet the needs of the people that work, live and visit here.
3. A Place for Business – The BID will work hard to make Basingstoke a more successful and more convenient place to do business.
4. A Voice for Business – There are many issues, such as transport and the quality of public spaces, that we would struggle to influence as individual businesses. The BID will be a strong business voice in discussions with Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Stage Coach, Southwest Trains, Hampshire County Council and other bodies to make sure that the best interests of our community are always on the table.
We have distilled our proposals into 12 key pledges:
Promoting our Town Together
1. Co-ordinate the Town Centre’s brand and visitor experience so that together our customer offer is stronger
2. Run a programme of visitor events across the town
3. Brighten the area, for example with hanging baskets
A Place for Business
4. Create a co-ordinated local loyalty card scheme for the benefit of employees and local businesses
5. Save businesses money through giving you the option to buy services together such as waste, recycling and electricity
6. Connect businesses with local CSR opportunities and provide networking opportunities across the town
7. Create digital marketing opportunities such as centre-wide Wi-Fi
8. Give support to local business through mentoring, coaching and expert advice
A Place for People
9. Employ a uniformed dedicated Town Centre Patrol Team and co-ordinate with existing services
10. Constantly strive for improved ease of navigation around town
11. Work with all stakeholders to make the market work better for everyone
12. Give a strong voice to businesses on key infrastructure issues in the town, such as transport, through; regular forums, consultations.